Vans Custom Culture Shoe Design | The Design Process
- What is the assignment? Define the product, service, etc. (Is it a logo? A website? A piece of sculpture?)
- Brainstorm & Mind Map: scratch paper or butcher paper, generate ideas, do word association, to develop a list of images and symbols
- Write a proposal, describing the kinds of images you will research, and what you hope to develop
- Research & Save images: Using the terms you generated, locate images online or from magazines, and save them in a "morgue" (collection you can access quickly, for future reference. Also called an archive).
- Layout a basic composition, based on the symbols and images from your morgue, that pertain to the subject or topic of your project
- Showcase and discuss the concept with your Art Director (in this case, your Teacher), either in a group/class setting, or individually
- Produce the final, finished, "camera-ready" artwork on the Vans Shoe template.
Monday: Choose the category of design (Art, Music, Action Sports, Local Flavor) and brainstorm (mind map) ideas. Write and turn in a proposal describing the types of images, symbols, etc. you will research and draw for your composition
Tuesday: Rough drawings, combining the images, symbols, etc, into a composition
Wednesday: 1st draft of drawing, carefully laid out on the shoe template
Thursday: Finalize the drawing, including color, on the shoe template & hang it on the wall for critique and voting
Friday: Critique and voting on the final four winners, based on the categories
Link to Vans Custom Culture website